Padma Shri : In the field of Art-Painting
Godavari Dutta, in her 80s, is well-known in Madhubani district of Bihar for her Mithila paintings. She has played a key role in the establishment of a Mithila museum in Japan dedicated to the paintings. In 2006, she was conferred the title of “Shilp Guru” by President of India.
About Madhubani Paintings:
- Nomenclature: It is named after Madhubani district in Bihar. It is also known as Mithila painting due to its origins in the Mithila region of India and Nepal.
- Background: initial references about the paintings can be found in the Hindu epic.
- Recognition: Madhubani painting has been given the geographical Indication (GI) status.
- It is a traditional Indian folk part depicting various subjects such as Mythological characters, social events like Marriages and Festivals, Sun and Moon etc.
- Geometrical figures are key elements.
- Natural dyes are used in its creation. These colours are often bright.
- It is made on canvas, cloth or cow dung washed hand paper.