Padma Vibhushan: In the field of Art-Vocals-Folk
Teejan Bai, belonging to the Pardhi Scheduled Tribe of Chhattisgarh, is a famous exponent of Kapalik style of 'Pandavani'.
Known for performing Pandavani in her unique folk singing and powerful voice, she has been awarded with Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and most recently Padma Vibhushan. in 2018 she was awarded the Fukuoka Prize by the Japanese city of Fukuoka.
- Pandavani, literally means stories of Pandavas, is a traditional performing art which involves narrating/enacting tales from the epic Mahabharat.
- It involves the use of musical instruments such as with ektara or a tambura in one hand (which also symbolises mace of Bhima - the second Pandava).
- It is popular in the state of Chhattisgarh (and in the neighbouring states of MP, Odisha and Andhra Pradesh).
- Vedamati style: Here the narration is strictly based on Sabbal Singh Chauhan's Mahabharat written in the Doha-Chaupal Metre. Its popular exponent is Jhaduram Devangan.
- Kapalik style: Here the performer can narrate the Mahabharat in his/her own style. its popular exponent is Teejan Bai.