Padma Shri : In the field of Art-Painting.
Abdul Gafur Khatri, a resident of Nirona village in Kutch district, Gujarat is a Rogan Painting artist. This art form became popular when Prime Minister Narendra Modi gifted a ‘Tree of Life’ motif prepared by Khatri to ex-US president Barack Obama on his 2014 US visit.
- Painting material: ‘Rogan’ is a Persian word meaning ‘oil-based’, and refers to the thick residue formed when castor oil is heated and cast into cold water. After it is mixed with natural colours, the residue is drawn out into a fine ‘thread’ and then applied to a cloth.
- Performers: Abdul Gafur Khatri and his family members are the only one who practices Rogan art form, thus it is also known as Nirona Rogan Art.
- Design: Various designs have been made by them, however they have extensively explored the ‘Tree of Life’ motifs in many of their works.
- Application: Rogan motifs are generally made on ghaagra-choli, bed sheets and tablecloths. But now they are also used as decorative items like wall hangings and framed cloth pieces.
- Depending on the detailing involved, rogan painting can take from four days to a year for completion.